Welcome to my Food Journey

Curious Southern Cook on a journey to learn...and to create exceptional dining experiences. I love entertaining and preparing food for loved ones & friends and sharing those experiences with others. My wish is that you will be fed too. Bon Appetite!







Sunday, March 16, 2014

Southern Colcannon


Colcannon is a tradition Irish dish made from mashed potatoes and kale or cabbage, cream, salt, pepper, butter and often ham or bacon.  In a mood to repurpose leftover "Greens", I thought I would make Colcannon and "Dixie it up a bit".  I had previously cooked a pot of combined turnip and collard greens...spiked with smoked ham.  If you do not have access to fresh greens, I would recommmend a canned option such as any made by "Glory Foods".  


This week everyone that isn't Irish is for one day and everyone that is... celebrates even harder.  My heritage inspired me to reinterpret this Irish classic and in using greens... brings it home even more. 
Oh, my Gleason (Gleeson) roots lead me back to Tipperary, in "Southern" Ireland. 
Happy Lá Fhéile Pádraig!



Southern Colcannon
(4 Main Servings or 6 to 8 Side Servings)


2 pounds washed, cubed potatoes (I used Yukon Gold, unpeeled)
1/4 c salted butter
5 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups drained cooked greens with ham or (1) 27 oz. can drained, *finely chopped
1 1/2 t Kosher salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1/2 c fat free half and half
More butter




Place cubed potatoes in a microwave safe dish with a splash of water and cook covered on high for 10 minutes.

In the meanwhile, place 1/4 c of butter in a pan, heat until melted.

Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes, until soft.

Add greens, salt and pepper, continue to saute stirring until fully heated through.

Add cooked potatoes plus half and half.  With heat on low use a hand held mixer or stick blender to combine all and until potatoes are smooth.  Serve with additional butter.

*Tip - I use a pizza cutter to finely cut the greens and ham

Enjoy

~CGJ




No comments:

Post a Comment